Hojicha Shortbread Cookies
There are gifts you buy, and gifts you bake. These Hojicha Shortbread Cookies make for the sweetest gift, worthy of your dearest friends and family.
In this recipe, a little hojicha goes a long way. Infusing the roasted green tea powder in the plant-based butter, gives these cookies an intense hojicha flavor that will leave anyone craving for more. Sounds tasty? Bake a double batch so you can share your home-baked goods, and sneak a few for yourself.
- 1.5 tablespoons hojicha powder
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- Add 1.5 tablespoons hojicha powder, ½ cup of plant-based butter, 6 tablespoons of organic coconut palm sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to a bowl. Cream together with a spoon until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup unbleached flour to the bowl, mixing well after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, and shape into a thin rectangle.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 315°F / 155°C.
- Once firm, place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Then roll the dough out to about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter of your choice, and place one inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. If dough becomes too soft to handle, return to the fridge until firm.
- Place the ready-to-bake cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes to keep their shape and prevent spreading.
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes at 315°F / 155°C.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Breath in the incredible aroma of the freshly baked hojicha shortbread, before enjoying the melt-in-your-mouth cookies with a fresh cup of roasted green tea.